Norwich boss: 'Madness' not to have VAR in Championship

Norwich head coach Philippe Clement said it is "madness" there is no VAR in the Championship after his side were beaten by a handball goal last weekend.

The Belgian listed 81 countries around the world that use the technology in their leagues in a news conference ahead of Saturday's match against Millwall, in response to West Brom's Aune Heggebo guiding in the Baggies' opening goal in their 2-1 win over the Canaries last Saturday with his hand.

- Wrexham keeper Okonkwo joins Charlton on loan
- West Ham urge fans to stop 'offensive' chant

Heggebo has since been given a two-match ban by the Football Association for "successful deception of a match official" in relation to the incident.

VAR would clearly have picked up the fact that the last touch was off Heggebo's hand and disallowed the goal, and Clement said: "There are countries [using VAR] that never played a World Cup.

"It's madness for me that there's no VAR [in the Championship]. This is not going to change, so it's not that in three years' time, everyone is going to say 'we are going to stop with VAR.'"

Earlier this year Championship clubs rejected the opportunity to bring in Football Video Support (FVS), which is similar to VAR but requires fewer resources and operates on a challenge system.

Pro Ref gave a presentation at the EFL's annual meeting in March on FVS but clubs were against any kind of video review system in the Championship.

The FA charged Heggebo on Tuesday, with West Brom appealing on the grounds that the ball took a deflection off the goalkeeper immediately before making contact with the player's arm, arguing it could not be viewed as an act of deliberate deception.

The charge was upheld by a regulatory commission on Thursday.

"Albion remain steadfast in their support of Aune, whose character and integrity have been evident throughout his time at The Hawthorns," the midlands club said in a statement.