FA launch investigation into Southampton over Spygate case

play
Ogden: More Spygate issues could emerge at Millwall and Wrexham (1:19)

Mark Ogden says that Southampton losing their appeal against expulsion from the Championship playoff final means that "other clubs could get involved." (1:19)

The FA has launched an investigation into Southampton and the spygate case which could lead to complicit individuals being charged.

The FA waited until the EFL's case against Southampton was resolved, and the result of their failed appeal, before confirming it would investigate the matter and open its own disciplinary process.

Southampton confessed to three counts of spying on opponents before matches in the Championship this season and were kicked out of the playoffs. The club were also handed a four-point deduction ahead of next term.

The EFL is yet to release the full written judgement of the case and the appeal, but the FA will evaluate all documentation before deciding its own disciplinary matters. That could see individuals suspended.

Meanwhile, sources have confirmed to ESPN that several Southampton players have contacted the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) to assess any options they have over potential loss of earnings.

The original charge of spying came after a Southampton first-team analyst intern was spotted filming a Middlesbrough training session on the Thursday before the first leg of their Championship playoff semifinal.

Middlesbrough complained to the EFL who then charged Southampton with breaches of regulations 3.4 (failing to act with utmost good faith toward other clubs) and 127 (prohibiting clubs from observing an opponent's training session within 72 hours of their match).

The two teams drew the first leg 0-0, with Southampton taking the return leg 2-1 to knock Middlesbrough out of the playoffs and secure their own place in the final against Hull City.

- Spygate explainer: Why Southampton were booted from Championship playoff
- Southampton players react to 'spygate' verdict: 'Anger, sadness'

The EFL independent disciplinary commission's hearing into Southampton's conduct was booked for May 19, but before the hearing took place, Southampton were hit with further charges after admitting to spying on Oxford United and Ipswich Town ahead of matches earlier in the season.

Sources told ESPN at least one other club had suspicions of being spied on. Sources added that other Championship clubs are also monitoring the situation and are waiting on the full written judgement from the hearing before deciding whether they will pursue their own legal action.