Ian Harkes tallies twice as Revs blast D.C. United

Ian Harkes scored his first two MLS goals in six seasons against his former club to lead the New England Revolution to a 4-0 rout over visiting D.C. United on Saturday night.

Harkes, who signed with New England (12-4-7, 43 points) as a free transfer this summer following 4 1/2 seasons with Dundee United in Scotland, was making just his second start and third appearance since the move.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

He scored both of his previous MLS goals for D.C. (8-10-6, 30 points) in his rookie pro campaign in 2017 after he signed as a homegrown player.

Gustavo Bou scored his eighth goal of the season to take sole possession of the team lead, and the Revolution also pressured D.C. into conceding a second-half own goal.

Carles Gil contributed his 11th and 12th assists to take the MLS lead, at least momentarily, as New England improved its unbeaten home record to 9-0-3 heading into a month-long break for the Leagues Cup.

D.C. United lost two defenders to injuries that contributed to their struggles in the back.

Captain Steve Birnbaum came off the field in the 17th minute following an unintentional collision with Bobby Wood. Andy Najar exited after halftime with an apparent leg muscle injury that kept him out of the play as New England scored its third goal.

Mateusz Klich was sent off deep into second-half stoppage time for receiving his second yellow card and will be suspended for D.C.'s next regular season game.

Manager Wayne Rooney took the approach of man-marking Gil with midfielder Klich during the first half. It appeared to be working until the 45th minute when Gil found some freedom and the ball on the right flank.

He quickly punished the visitors, finding Bou sneaking into the box with an inch-perfect cross, and Bou nodded a header past a stranded Tyler Miller.

Harkes added his first in the seventh minute of the first-half stoppage time that was aided in part because of Birnbaum's injury.

After D.C. turned it over in their own half, Wood played a quick throughball for Harkes, who expertly chipped Miller from about 30 yards.

Harkes' second came on just as classy of a finish in the 49th minute as he drove his shot off the underside of the crossbar following Gil's second assist of the evening.