Boca Juniors president Daniel Angelici has confirmed that while Real Madrid have not made a formal bid for Rodrigo Bentancur, the Argentine club would consider offers for the €15 million-rated Uruguayan.
Madrid have been tracking the gifted playmaker according to reports in the Argentine media -- with Spanish newspaper Marca claiming on Tuesday that a €10m deal is close to being finalised -- while Serie A side Juventus have also been linked in the 18-year-old.
The recently imposed FIFA transfer ban to cover the summer 2017 and January 2018 windows may force Madrid into moving more quickly than they had planned, although the club have said they will appeal that sanction.
The Buenos Aires' club's chief Angelici told TyC Sports that no bid had been received, and that the price currently being mentioned in the media was higher than the player's release clause.
"We have not yet received a formal proposal from Real Madrid for Bentancur," Angelici said. "The number that is being mentioned is not correct. His clause is lower than the figure mentioned."
But Angelici appeared to suggest that Boca would be open to selling if the price was right, saying: "There's been a lot of talk, but I would like to see a figure written down.
"If it comes we will analyse it, and see if it is suitable for the player and the club."
With speculation of a looming transfer ban having been around for quite some time, Madrid have stocked up on promising talents over the past 18 months.
Los Blancos have spent upwards of €35m on Norwegian youngster Martin Odegaard, Brazilian midfielder Lucas Silva, Real Mallorca playmaker Marcos Asensio, Real Zaragoza defender Jesus Vallejo and Bentancur's fellow Uruguay youth international Federico Valverde.
The Bernabeu club have also tended to sign at least one young South American each January through recent years, with Lucas Silva -- now on loan at Marseille -- following current Las Palmas striker Willian Jose (2014) and back-up midfielder Casemiro (2013).