The summer transfer window was unlike any other. See all the major deals and check out how we graded the biggest signings. And just because the window is shut until January, that doesn't mean the rumours won't keep coming. Here's the latest gossip and speculation.
TOP STORY: Barca prepared to move De Jong, Ter Stegen
Barcelona no longer believe that goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen and midfielder Frenkie de Jong are "untouchable" and could let the pair go, according to AS. The duo reportedly could make way due to the club's financial circumstances (they are €1.4 billion in debt), with any funds received through their transfers potentially going towards rebuilding the Catalan squad.
The report suggests that both players have failed to live up to expectations of late, with the Blaugrana failing to make it out of their Champions League group and subsequently dropping into the Europa League for the first time since the 2000-01 season.
Ter Stegen, 29, has been a regular in goal for Barca since he joined in 2014 from Borussia Monchengladbach for roughly €12 million. The Germany international has made nearly 300 appearances for the club, but has failed to hit the heights of his previous seasons in Catalonia, making a string of errors in goal, most recently this week against Bayern Munich.
As for De Jong, 24, he was labelled a promising prospect, signing from Ajax in 2019 for €75m. The Netherlands international has been a regular since joining, but has struggled to reach the levels expected of him.
The pair could be set to leave as Xavi looks to invest into his squad and put his own stamp on Barcelona as the manager.
21.00 GMT: It turns out, Stefan de Vrij might be on the move. Inter have not inquired about extending the defender's contract, which is set to expire in June 2023, according to Gazzetta. If Inter want to see the 29-year-old Dutchman stick around, they will have to move soon as Tottenham are reportedly interested in him.
20.05 GMT: Juventus is reportedly willing to listen to offers for American midfielder Weston McKennie, according to a report from Gazzetta in Italy. That's on top of reports that Juve may dispatch Brazilian midfielder Arthur and Welsh midfielder Aaron Ramsey.
McKennie joined Juventus on a year-long loan from Schalke 04 last year, and Juventus exercised their option to sign him to a full contract this past March.
19.16 GMT: Barcelona are in the market for a new midfielder and they have reportedly set their sites on Adnan Januzaj. According to Sport, the Spanish powerhouse is reportedly interested in signing him in the summer when his contract expires but may also consider a January move.
Januzaj, a Belgian, has been at Real Sociedad since 2017 and came up through Manchester United's academy under manager David Moyes.
17.55 GMT: West Ham are keen to sign Manchester City defender Nathan Ake, says Eurosport.
The Hammers need a defender in January as both Kurt Zouma and Angelo Ogbonna have been injured, with Ake slipping down the pecking order at City this season.
Newcastle are also keen on the Netherlands international but a move to London is reported to be his preference.
17.00 GMT: Forward Antoine Griezmann has told ESPN he struggled to adapt to life back at Atletico Madrid after rejoining the LaLiga champions from Barcelona last summer.
Griezmann, 30, spent five years at Atletico -- becoming the fourth highest goal scorer in the club's history -- before a controversial €120m move to Barcelona in 2019. After two up-and-down seasons at Camp Nou he returned to the Wanda Metropolitano in August on a season-long loan, with Atletico having the obligation to make the deal permanent for €40m next summer.
The France international starred this week in Atletico's dramatic 3-1 win away at FC Porto to secure qualification for the Champions League round of 16, but both he and the team have been inconsistent this season.
Atletico go into Sunday's derby with Real Madrid 10 points behind their city rivals in the LaLiga table.
"To be honest it was quite hard for me at first," Griezmann told ESPN. "It was a rhythm I wasn't used to, a new system for me. I had to take that and mix it with my own style of play. Finally I'm getting better, and I'm feeling better on the pitch. To get to the next round of the Champions League was very important for me."
15.50 GMT: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta dropped Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for Saturday's Premier League game against Southampton due to a "disciplinary breach."
The 31-year-old was not present at training on Friday and although the club have refused to specify the exact nature of the incident, a club source told ESPN it is "not COVID related."
Speaking before kick-off, Arteta said: "[Aubameyang is missing] unfortunately due to a disciplinary breach. I think we have been very consistent that we have certain non-negotiables in the team that we have set ourselves as a club, and he's not involved today."
Asked if it was a long-term punishment, Arteta added: "It starts today. Certainly it's not an easy situation, or a situation that we want to have our club captain in."
Aubameyang was left out of the matchday squad for March's north London derby win over Tottenham after arriving late for a team meeting on the day of the game.
This latest issue will raise further questions over Arteta's relationship with Aubameyang after the club captain was restricted to a five-minute cameo as a substitute in Monday's 2-1 defeat at Everton.
15.25 GMT: Mexico international Jesus Corona is set to move to Sevilla from FC Porto in January, according to Record.
Corona, 28, has a contract which expires at the end of the season but Sevilla are keen to land the forward early after Erik Lamela was ruled out until April through injury.
14.50 GMT: Nashville SC is on the verge of acquiring forward Teal Bunbury from the New England Revolution in exchange for up $150,000 in allocation money, sources have told ESPN.
NSC will part with $75,000 in 2022 allocation, and the amount could rise by another $75,000 if incentives are met. The deal is expected to be announced on Sunday when the MLS half-day trade window will open.
Bunbury, 31, has spent the past eight seasons with the Revs, scoring 47 goals and adding 23 assists in 243 league and playoff appearances, showing both versatility and durability in the process.
14.34 GMT: On Friday, Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland's agent Mino Raiola told Sport1 there is a "big chance" that his client will leave next summer, with Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester City all potential destinations.
Haaland, who has scored 51 Bundesliga goals in 51 appearances since joining Dortmund in December 2019, reportedly has a release clause in his contract set at €75m that becomes active at the end of the season.
But were those the only clubs that the Norway international could join?
Raiola told Gerard Romero on Saturday: "I mentioned Barca as potential example of new club for Haaland... it doesn't mean he'll go to one of the clubs I mentioned yesterday. I can mention many other clubs for Haaland: Real, Barca, Atletico, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool..."
Looks like Raiola may never utter the words "Manchester United" even again after his recent falling out with the club.
14.03 GMT: Barcelona are monitoring Penarol forward Agustin Alvarez, claims Mundo Deportivo.
Alvarez, 20, is considered one of Uruguay's top rising stars and has seen interest from Real Madrid. But even with their financial situation, Barca could look to steal a march on their rivals and get in first with a January bid.
13.35 GMT: Out-of-favour Tottenham winger Steven Bergwijn, has made two substitute appearance totalling 13 minutes since Antonio Conte replaced Nuno Espirito Santo last month, is wanted by Ajax, sources told ESPN.
Sources claim the relationship between players and manager is strained and Ajax are exploring the possibility of a loan move in January, or even a permanent transfer for the 24-year-old.
13.00 GMT: Manchester United have some big ambitions in the transfer market.
12.11 GMT: Barcelona president Joan Laporta insists the club will strengthen in January after being knocked into the Europa League earlier this week.
In a video posted on his Twitter account, Laporta admitted Barca continue to face financial problems amid their €1.4bn debt but says he's optimistic they will be able to free up funds to improve the squad mid-season.
"We're very disappointed by the Champions League exit and we all agree we need to strengthen the team," Laporta said. "The problem is we have inherited players on very high contracts, which doesn't give us much margin to work in. Even so, we are looking for formulas to improve the first team in January and working hard to achieve it -- and we will."
11.54 GMT: Sources have told ESPN that Barca will look to move on several first-team players in a bid to make room to sign at least one, if not two forwards next month.
ESPN have previously reported that the club have held talks with Manchester City over Ferran Torres, while Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani is another target.
Cavani, 34, is not playing as much as he would like at Old Trafford and sources have told ESPN he is open to a move to Barca next month.
Sources explain that contact has increased in recent days, with the Uruguayan requesting an 18-month deal with one eye on the World Cup in Qatar next winter. Barca, though, would also need to reach an agreement with United as Cavani has a contract until the end of the season in Manchester.
11.05 GMT: Roma are keen on signing Norwich City right-back Max Aarons, says Gazzetta dello Sport.
Aarons, 21, has impressed in the Premier League and has been linked with Arsenal, Tottenham, Man United, Bayern, Barcelona and a host of other top clubs.
The England U21 international is now reportedly among Roma manager Jose Mourinho's January transfer targets, with Norwich looking to get around €25m for him.
10.22 GMT: Manchester United forward Anthony Martial wants to leave in January, according to his agent.
Martial, 26, has been hampered by injuries so far this season but has not started a Premier League game since the 1-1 draw with Everton on Oct. 2. He is yet to feature for interim coach Ralf Rangnick because of a knee problem and the France striker's agent, Philippe Lamboley, said his client wants to move next month after just four starts in all competitions since August.
"Anthony wishes to leave the club in January," Lamboley told Sky Sports. "He just needs to play. He doesn't want to stay in January and I will speak to the club soon."
The Daily Mirror claims Newcastle United, Barcelona, Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain have emerged as the frontrunners to sign the France international.
09.50 GMT: Cristiano Ronaldo could leave Manchester United following Ralf Rangnick's arrival at Old Trafford and Real Madrid are keen to re-sign him
Ronaldo, 36, may not gel with Rangnick's style of play and Football Insider claims that Real Madrid are ready to make a move in January to bring the Portugal international back to the Bernabeu.
09.22 GMT: As part of the club's efforts to strengthen the left-back position, sources told ESPN that Manchester City have watched Arsenal defender Nuno Tavares, who has impressed in his first season at the Emirates Stadium.
The Portugal under-21 international has emerged as a contender for Kieran Tierney's place since his £8m move to Arsenal from Benfica last summer, and while sources added City are unlikely to make a move in January, the 21-year-old remains a player of interest.
City have one recognised senior left-back at the club in Oleksandr Zinchenko, although former Juventus defender Joao Cancelo has performed that role with distinction in recent months. France international Benjamin Mendy has been suspended by the club.
09.00 GMT: Ralf Rangnick identified Manchester United's midfield as an area of weakness in his interview with club bosses and suggested players of interest before being offered the job as interim manager, sources told ESPN.
Rangnick impressed during discussions with football director John Murtough, technical director Darren Fletcher and executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward as United searched for a temporary boss to take over following the dismissal of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Sources told ESPN that he explained why the club should look to invest in midfield and suggested scouts take a closer look at RB Leipzig's Amadou Haidara, also identifying Borussia Dortmund's Jude Bellingham and Leeds United's Kalvin Phillips as potential midfield targets. Meanwhile, Bellingham's Dortmund teammate Erling Haaland, a long term United target, was also mentioned by Rangnick ahead of what is likely to be a Europe-wide battle for the player's signature in the summer.
Marcotti: Targeting Haaland & Bellingham shows Rangnick's confidence
Gab Marcotti feels Ralf Rangnick's advice that Man United should pursue Haaland and Bellingham shows he is settling in.
- Chelsea are interested in Leicester City defender Wesley Fofana as a replacement for pending free agent Antonio Rudiger, according to Goal. With Rudiger, 28, seemingly set to leave the Blues on a free transfer in the summer, they're looking at reinforcements, including Fofana and summer target Jules Kounde of Sevilla.
- Newcastle United and Southampton are interested in Real Salt Lake midfielder Albert Rusnak, according to the Mail. The 27-year-old's contract with the MLS club expires in January, with the two Premier League sides alerted as they look to bolster their squads.
- Paris Saint-Germain are looking to move on three senior players in January, with Mauro Icardi one of those included, reports L'Equipe. The club hierarchy believe that the squad they have is too big and are hoping to trim it in January, with Rafinha and Abdou Diallo also said to be free to find new clubs.
- Newcastle are seriously interested in Manchester United playmaker Jesse Lingard, according to Fabrizio Romano. The 28-year-old has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford due to a lack of game time, with contact between the parties beginning but no agreement reached yet.
- Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny has attracted interest from both the Premier League and Turkish league clubs, reports Ekrem Konur. The Egypt international is out of contract in the summer and playing in England again next year his priority, but he could be persuaded elsewhere.
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles is looking to force a move away from Arsenal in January, with the 24-year-old receiving a lack of minutes since the start of the season. The Mail reports that the England international is favouring a move away from the Gunners, making just two starts since his pleas for a transfer in the summer. Everton and Newcastle are two sides said to be monitoring his situation.